Caris the Gypsy – 12v Generator – The Build

so way back when i started building a massive 12 volt generator for caris’ castle… ( see (sufficiently advanced technology…) for more)

this project got retasked to the bus instead…

so i had to get a 4″ industrial pulley from grainger to make the alternator spin at the speed i wanted it to…

and then i ordered an absolutely sweet mounting plate from the epicenter since i didn’t have time to make the one i wanted to do.

and let me tell you… you all know how important customer service is to me. well, the crew down at the epicenter were a positive pleasure to deal with. i had a couple questions that bryan fielded for me, and a few suggestions he made that i followed. they even caught the fact that the industrial pulley from granger takes a different belt than the pulley the alternator comes with, and installed the right pulley on the alternator (which also came from them) just so i didn’t have to mess with it. i will be doing business with them again i am sure 🙂

so anyway, moving right along…

and a thrush turbo muffler 🙂

for a honda…

and a delco alternator with an industrial pulley, so we can use industrial belts for this (they kick ass all over the ones your car uses)

and some black iron pipe…

so here’s the stock muffler… it needs to be sacrificed for the flange…

and the exhaust studs need to come out…

and some wood stove replacement gaskets (the ones they use for the door seals), and a 2″ to 3/4″ iron pipe reducer…

some mad skills angle grinder work on the reducer…

and it slips right into the muffler…

the flange and a piece of iron pipe…

and a bit of grinder work, and allen bolts…

test fit…

test assembly…

looks good, so we nuke it…

till it glows…

because of the fit, this is kinda a pain in the butt to weld…

anti vibration mounts from a pressure washer… normally these would isolate the engine, but we decided to make the plate full floating so that we didn’t have to worry about building flex into the exhaust…

building the muffler mounts…

welding the muffler mounts, with the unit assembled…

more welding…

note the belt on the alternator…

a bit of a clearance issue was solved with the angle grinder…
(we were pressed for time, otherwise i would have rebuilt the muffler bracket)

now we assemble the exhaust for real…

and i use the glue provided with the gasket kit, and the gasket material, to wrap the exhaust with.

not as pretty as the race car stuff, but it’s about 100 bucks cheaper and does the same job…

then i wrap it with galvanized screen and tie wire to keep it in place while the glue dries, and keep it neat…

i then fired it up and ran it for 10 minutes or so to cook the glue on there…

results? that screen, after running for 5 minutes, hit 105 degrees and stayed there.
… the exhaust was over 200 at the bottom elbow by the muffler (best our measuring equipment would do) so i would call the wrap a success (the entire point is to get the heat out of the area as fast as possible)

to be continued…
-stone

Make with the Clicky:
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • RSS
  • Digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • del.icio.us
  • email
  • Print
  • PDF

1 comment to Caris the Gypsy – 12v Generator – The Build

Leave a Reply

You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>