castle stone upgrades v.001

so i’ve been doing a much needed overhaul on my house…

spent 3 weeks under it with a bunch of 30 ton hydraulic jacks leveling it…

then spent a couple weeks doing drywall, mud, tape, texture and paint…

the kitchen is on hold for a moment, so i took some time to overhaul the deck…

first thing we did was strip it to the rails… once upon a time i had a carport, and the deck was built from the original rafter framework, so it might look a bit different than you’re used to seeing under a deck, but this is way stronger than standard deck construction… better be, and with that many 2×12’s and 2×8’s it made sense to use it…

so, stripped off the old decking, lowered the hot tub to ground level so we weren’t trying to support it’s weight, and i had an idea…

so i pulled the pump, heater, and everything else out of the tub, and laid myself a concrete footing…

http://www.l7.net/myspace/images/deck.pump.footing.jpg

the studs you’re looking at are actually 4″ bolts in the concrete to bolt the pump to.

my friend chris gave me a set of rubber motor mounts from a pressure washer or similar (he’s a small engine ninja) so i’m going to use them to isolate the motor…

so i set the pump on the pad, and looked at it for a while…

when i first bought this place i had to replace the sewer line, and i had put a cleanout in it, where the sewer line exits the house…

so when i was in the plumbing dept i realized that the parts i needed were 50 bucks… but they had a 3″ diameter pile with (2) 1 1/2″ pipes coming in the sides that would fit the bill nicely… for 5 bucks. 🙂 … so i put a cleanout cap on top of it, cut off the old pipe and glued it inside of the old one…

now i have a 3″ cleanout instead of a 4″, but it’s no big thing… and i have (2) 1 1/2″ connections on the sides of it…

one of which i plumbed the hot tub drain to, so i don’t have to mess with the hose anymore… 🙂

http://www.l7.net/myspace/images/deck.pump.plumbing-01.jpg

then i extended the connections from the tub to the new pump and heater location…

http://www.l7.net/myspace/images/deck.pump.plumbing-02.jpg

the big valve on the right is the drain valve, and the high volume directional T fitting in the upper right is going to be a drain for a sluice shower (take a quick rinse off before and after using the tub) …

http://www.l7.net/myspace/images/deck.pump.plumbing-03.jpg

the weirdness with the upper line in the above picture is because i wanted to go under that deck beam, not through it… (if the deck sinks or settles or anything i don’t want to break it and have to deal with 500 gallons of hot water under my deck)

http://www.l7.net/myspace/images/deck.pump.plumbing-04.jpg

i used gentle curves wherever possible to make things flow easier, especially where it’s being pumped…

yes, the T fitting to the drain would make it work faster for draining the tub if i turned it around… but it flows better for standard operation (pump running and recirculating) when done this way…

http://www.l7.net/myspace/images/deck.pump.plumbing-05.jpg

everything to the right of the double beam in this picture is the old carport rafter frame, re tasked for this. it actually ends behind the hot tub at the top of this image, the new wood is where the old 2×6’s where removed to allow us to set the tub on the ground…

http://www.l7.net/myspace/images/deck.pump.plumbing-06.jpg

framing in an access hatch…

http://www.l7.net/myspace/images/deck.construction-01.jpg

and here we start laying decking.

the stain is olympic “maximum waterproofing sealant” and the color is “canyon brown”…
we stained the bottom and sides of each board, and then i screwed them down with “phillips II plus high performance deck screws with evercoat coating” (these are awesome) 🙂 while they were wet. a pain in the butt, but i was pressed for time, and it worked fine…

http://www.l7.net/myspace/images/deck.construction-02.jpg

gives you an idea of how long this took. the deck is 22×18, and there’s 70 2×6’s in this pile…

http://www.l7.net/myspace/images/deck.construction-03.jpg

you can see here that carol, aiden, and argyle are staining faster than i can align, force together, and screw down, the decking…

http://www.l7.net/myspace/images/deck.construction-04.jpg

here the pump access is framed in. i have 5 pieces that fit in here to cover it…

http://www.l7.net/myspace/images/deck.construction-05.jpg

here’s a shot along the side of the house from the back door looking t’ward the pump…

http://www.l7.net/myspace/images/deck.construction-06.jpg

here’s a shot from about halfway between the back door and the pump, facing the ramp off the back…

http://www.l7.net/myspace/images/deck.construction-07.jpg

starting to stain…

http://www.l7.net/myspace/images/deck.construction-08.jpg

long way to go…

http://www.l7.net/myspace/images/deck.construction-09.jpg

and half of it finished…

http://www.l7.net/myspace/images/deck.construction-10.jpg

and the other half…

now i just need to trim out the tub (the deck isn’t actually going to touch it, but it’s going to come close) and then put the side walls back up and stain them, and it’s a wrap 🙂

the lines are from the light coming through the polycarbonate roofing over the deck…

i suspect heavy deck use this summer 🙂
-stone

Make with the Clicky:
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • RSS
  • Digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • del.icio.us
  • email
  • Print
  • PDF

Leave a Reply

You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>