castle stone upgrades v.002

so with the exception of some trim around the hot tub and some work on the roof over it, the deck is done…

which of course means that i need to tackle the storage buildings that were on the old deck next…

i think one of them is going to be the laundry room with a work bench… (the whirlpool duet washer and dryer i have are made of awesome, but they cause a lot of traffic problems in the kitchen, so i’m thinking i’m going to move ’em…)

so the joists are fine on the floors of the storage buildings (just off the deck to the right when you head out into the backyard) but the decking is shot, so up it comes…

it came out pretty easy…

so then we start disassembling the buildings. i had been hoping that i could just jack them up and deck underneath them, but it was such a pain in the butt that we just took them apart instead.

yes, that is 27 runs of cat5 network cable run down the fence. the blue ones are high speed data, and the grey ones are dialup trunks.

and one lone dsl router that i ended up bagging for the duration, since moving it right now would be a pain in the butt…

looks like i need to do some foundation work too.

(pressure treated 4×6’s across the front, middle, and back solved that neatly…)

taking apart the second building…

i ended up cutting the frame in half between the buildings, (there was a 3 ft gap) and moving them both closer to the house… gives me 4 feet of my yard back, which means i can park the kitchen trailer in the backyard between events…

so out comes the skillsaw and the drill, and…

away we go…

in hindsight i should have redone the joists on the second building to match the spacing on the first one, as i ended up having to do a lot more work to lay the decking… (see the double floor beams about 8″ apart in the middle? that’s where the middle was removed to put them closer together, causing the board spacing to be wierd for the top decking)

looking good though…

laying down the building frames… the white stuff is dap silicone adhesive that dries clear. (glued the frames down with it before i put the screws in)

all the dots and so on are filled in screw holes and a few knots, as this is between the buildings and i don’t want water standing in the screw holes…

adding the second set of frames…

it goes together kinda like legos 🙂

and, the finish product 🙂

note that the floor under the buildings is 1/4″ higher than my deck… this was done so the deck doesn’t interfere with the doors, and the seals on the doors don’t brush the deck.

yes, that post is in the way of the doors…

temporary support while i move the support post to the space between the buildings… (gutter mount will screw to the backside of it)

and now i’m off to change the support structure for the roof…
-stone

Make with the Clicky:
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • RSS
  • Digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • del.icio.us
  • email
  • Print
  • PDF

Leave a Reply

You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>