A sample text widget

Etiam pulvinar consectetur dolor sed malesuada. Ut convallis euismod dolor nec pretium. Nunc ut tristique massa.

Nam sodales mi vitae dolor ullamcorper et vulputate enim accumsan. Morbi orci magna, tincidunt vitae molestie nec, molestie at mi. Nulla nulla lorem, suscipit in posuere in, interdum non magna.

building tuck's trailer… (part 001)

alternate title: recycling pirate for the win…

so my buddy tuck had this pretty thrashed rv trailer that he acquired from somewhere (family i think) … anyway, as i’ve built a whole whack of trailers for eventing, merchanting, etc, he asked me… πŸ™‚

i didn’t have a whole lot of time to help with the demolition and so on, but tuck handled that in an expedient manner, leaving a frame:

which the engineer in my head thought was a rather interesting design, in particular how the axle and suspension are laid out:

and other than some bent bits:

it looked pretty solid, so i chopped it up into little pieces:

heh πŸ™‚

actually, what i am doing here is cutting off all of the outside floor supports, and bobbing the back of the trailer, because tuck’s truck, while competent, isn’t really going to be happy if this trailer gets loaded like a typical sca trailer…

that and it doesn’t need to be all that big, because they don’t have all that much stuff, and the suspension, axles and brakes on this are not rated all that heavy.

the back of the frame was bent, and while i was sorting out how to straighten it, i realized that it would have to be reinforced in order to prevent it from happening again, and, well, it wasn’t worth it…

so off it comes:

here’s the final product:

okay, not really. πŸ™‚

so you can see that i did some hack n slash on the rear bumper with the angle grinder:

and i left the bars on either side of the wheels intact…
the bars are going to mount the fenders (i’m going to do it with pickle barrel so they’ll be easy to replace, and will hold up to the abuse) kinda going for a street rod look πŸ™‚

here you can see the bumper being welded together by my friend chris (thanks man, it’s appreciated)

i bobbed the bumper so that it wasn’t a hazard (it stuck out way too far) and i felt it was entirely too flimsy the way it was.

and it adds a bit of a road warrior look to it πŸ™‚

with a judicious use of bungee cords, 2×4’s and jack stands, the bumper gets welded on:

this of course was made much easier by the trailer being upside down πŸ™‚

here’s the finished product:

or maybe not:

(i decided at the last minute it needed some bracing on the bumper… you know how it is πŸ™‚

the original trailer had a big bite out of the frame rail… (where the original sewer cleanout was):

… trailer should be strong enough without us touching it, but the engineer in my head wanted to do something about it, so i cut and shaped a piece to fix it with:

out of a piece i had cut off the trailer earlier, and had chris stick it where it goes:

not a bad fit if i say so myself πŸ™‚

… especially when i did most of it with a 7″ angle grinder… πŸ™‚

chris then welded it down like we meant it:

and while i can’t look at the arc, my phone can:

next: dtm industrial paint, and a floor! πŸ™‚

Make with the Clicky:
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • RSS
  • Digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • del.icio.us
  • email
  • Print
  • PDF

Leave a Reply

You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>