building tuck’s trailer… (part 002)

so today was all about seeing things in the light of day, and shopping for paint and the little things…

first stop was home depot, who was next to useless for what i had in mind…
followed by lowes, who wasn’t much better. lowes used to have what i was after (direct to metal industrial paint)…

a quick consultation with my gps for “industrial paint” got me kelley moore, who had a 150 bucks a gallon preventative/primer/topcoat solution… ummm.. no.

second hit was applied industrial technology in olympia, who had the hookup for me…

rustoleum’s industrial paint division has a high abrasion resistant high performance 2 part epoxy paint that is designed to stand up to severe environments…

this is the stuff you would paint the extruded steel walkways on your battleship with… 🙂

it has an abrasion rating of 160 psi… 🙂

so it comes as a gallon of paint and a gallon of hardener, making 2 gallons of product when you mix it together, and you have 2 hours to apply it.

i figured the kitchen trailer i use in my inn was going to take probably 3 gallons total, and tucks trailer would be less than a gallon, so i bought 2 gallons of hardener and 2 gallons of paint, (grand total 221.44 + tax, ouch) in black of course (i will paint everything black until they make something darker 🙂 … and it should be here tomorrow.

here’s what the trailer looked like this morning, with the temporary lights on it, since we had to take it to get new shoes…:

you can see a lot of the work that’s been done so far…

and eagle eyed readers will notice that the trailer tires don’t match, and that one has a big bulge in it and the other one has a split in the tread…

so, off to tire dogs in olympia we go… (absolute best place to pick up used tires cheap.. this trailer isn’t going to see enough miles to buy new ones right now…)

the trailer is so light right now that even with argyle and myself standing on it, the leaf springs still hold the axle solid against the lower framerail (we may end up taking a leaf or two out of the spring packs). a side effect of this is that the trailer bounces around *a lot* whenever hit hits bumps in the road.

so the first thing i did was add 15 lbs of air to one tire (it was flat) and let 20 out of the other one, and we ran them at 15 psi for the trip into town. enough air to keep them on the rims, but keep them as soft as we can get them.

we had to do the same thing for the trip home to keep it from bouncing around so much.

here it is with her new shoes:

note that this is capital industrial’s parking lot, when we stopped to pick up the led lights for it…

as you can see, the trailer has a very low, wide footprint, and the new (to tuck anyway) tires are a massive improvement over what was there…

on the “still todo” list is:
1) find the light cover we lost on the way here (totally kidding)
2) hinged hanging license plate holder
3) recess the led lights into the bumper
4) paint
5) repack the bearings
6) check the brakes
7) install a trailer brake controller
8) build the sidewalls
9) build the fenders

onward and upwards 🙂
-stone

Make with the Clicky:
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • RSS
  • Digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • del.icio.us
  • email
  • Print
  • PDF

Leave a Reply

You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>